Generally, saxophone is selected from the aspects of appearance, pitch, sound quality, keypad, feel, keys, resonance, mechanical flexibility and so on. Generally, it is not easy for beginners to check it out. You can take a professional or a friend to identify the audition. If you choose it yourself, then a well-crafted saxophone should pay attention to the following aspects:
1. Carefully observe the appearance of the surface, whether the plating is uniform, whether there are irregularities, and whether there are scratches. The surface of the saxophone should be transparent and smooth.
2. Air tightness, check whether the keypad has imprints, whether the clasp on the resonator is in contact with the center of the sound hole, whether the keypad is tight or deformed, otherwise it will cause air leakage and affect the pronunciation.
3. Check the sensitivity of the mechanical part, whether the spring tension is uniform and comfortable, and whether the tension of each athlete is the same. If the spring is too soft, the key will rise and fall slowly. If it is too hard, it will cause excessive force on the finger, and the finger will become stiff and affect it. The performance effect, this step is actually a test of feel.
4. Pitch check. This is the most critical goal. Playing the saxophone to check whether the distance between the sound and the sound is accurate is actually the so-called precision of the sound hole distance design and the precision of assembly.
But this has a certain degree of adjustability, the depth of the mouthpiece insertion, the choice of thick reeds, and the control of mouth shape and breath will have a certain effect on the pitch, so the general standard is that within the controllable range, the sound The difference between the pitch and the target pitch is within 30 cents, and such a pitch is acceptable.
5. Check whether the welding place is firm, tight and smooth. There should be no gap between the key post and the connecting rod, as any gap will prevent the mat from covering the gap evenly and evenly.
6. Test sound, this is very important. The main purpose is to experience the overall quality of the instrument in a comprehensive and comprehensive way, and then to obtain the sound quality evaluation through test blowing. The sound color depends on the choice of copper material, which is the frequency of the resonance of the instrument. Whether the air is smooth, and the sound is unified and smooth, with or without noise, see if the sound is full and transparent, whether the treble is clear, and whether the bass is good.
The test sound test should be performed from B to B, B, C, C, D, E, F, and G. It must be played with the weakest strength so that the low range can also be sensitively pronounced. Finally, test whether the sound from all the sound ranges is accurate and the sound volume is uniform.